Mini reviews of Television seasons old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. Occasional bunnies.

Monday, October 29, 2012

Millennium: Season Two (2005)

The team of Glen Morgan and James Wong took over writing duties to the second season, penning 12 of the 23 episodes and overseeing the production and direction taken by the remainder. I guess they're to blame for what unfolded.

The focus shifted away from Frank and the psychological drain his visions placed on him, into a more esoteric dead-end. The two producers heaped on a barrelful of supernatural intervention, quasi-religious cult bullshit, conspiracy theories and shady organisations, with endings pretending to be open to viewer interpretation but which are really the product of bad scripting that make little sense in themselves; if I wanted that I'd watch the X-Files. Even series creator Chris Carter (who was busy elsewhere and had virtually zero input) admitted to not having watched all of the episodes.

Morgan and Wong turned Frank into a dupe. They brought the Millennium Group to the fore; turning them into something they were never conceived to be. They struggled to deal with the relationship between Frank and his wife, Catherine. The amateurish direction that took tore the show right down the middle, removing the reason for Frank's initial involvement with the Group. Detective Bob Giebelhous is turned into an asshole Noir beat cop. The furthering of the religious motifs made sense but the way it was integrated was clumsy, overblown and painful to watch.

There are a number of 'comedy' episodes, which are the worst hours of TV I've ever forced myself to watch. Normally I'd hit stop, but I made myself endure every agonising minute. Glen Morgan's brother Darin was responsible for two of them.

Both Morgan and Wong refused an invitation to appear in the accompanying documentary; I'd be ashamed to show my face, too, if I were them.

23 episodes, approx 44 minutes each.

2 Millenniumistic is not a word out of 5

4 comments:

Borderline said...

Very well written Doc.

After reading it I was very surprised you didn't rate it a 1 or lower.

I'll be sure to stay away from this season.

Dr Faustus said...

If it didn't have Lance Henrikson I'd have given up long before the end. I find him an engaging actor. And the editing was good for a TV show from that era. It was the writing that dragged to below average.

The Season 1 cliffhanger is resolved in the first episode so you'll want to watch it at least.

Chris Carter came back for Season 3 so I'm hopeful it improves things.

cuckoo said...

If I recall, S3 doesn't improve much at all.

I think it got all right in the last 4 eps or so.

Dr Faustus said...

Feck! You bring me bad news. Years ago I'd have to have you killed for that. :)

I'll suffer it. But first I need some sci-fi in my life. So I'm going to take a break from Frank and the cult.